background

Monday, August 6, 2012

Velcro Bed Skirt

Tim and I got a new bed! We got tired getting pushed around by the pups, and when getting them their own doggie bed didn't work we upgraded to a king size bed. So, of course, I had to re-think the quilt (more on that later). We got a tan colored down comforter for now, which is actually kind of perfect. Not too hot, but keeps us warm at night. We also needed a new bed skirt since our old one wouldn't fit anymore. I've been wanting to add a splash of green in the room, so here was my chance!

A velcro bed skirt was the perfect solution for us. It's easy to make, easy to put on/take off the bed, and when it gets dirty, just toss it in the wash and reattach. It also cost me about $20 including fabric (used a coupon at Joann's), thread (also with a coupon at Joann's), and velcro (no coupon at Hobby Lobby).

First, I measured and measured again. I measured the length and width I wanted it to be and added 2 inches to each for the hems. I wanted the foot of the bed's panel to be 13 inches long x 76 inches wide, and the sides to be 13 inches long x 77 inches wide, so I cut each panel 15 inches long x 78/79 inches respectively.


I hemmed each panel 1 inch around.



Next, I sewed the loops part of the velcro onto one of the  long borders of the each panel.




Then, I pulled out my hot glue gun and glued the hooks part of the velcro to the top of the box springs.



Attach, and voila! A custom bed skirt!



I love how it turned out and can't wait to see how it looks with the completed quilt (one day... ha!)! Until next time....

7 comments:

  1. That's geneous! Wow, it's good for not having too lift the king size mattresses in order to have a bed skirt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea, I've had the fabric for a year and couldn't decide how to tackle it. I love the fact that you can wash it so easily.Thx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so glad I saw this. I was not enthused about a ruffled elastic band. This sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your idea,no lifting matress,easy on my arthritic hands.Thank you 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its always good to learn tips like you share for blog posting. As I just started posting comments for blog and facing problem of lots of rejections. I think your suggestion would be helpful for me. I will let you know if its work for me too.
    bed runners

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosto muito de dicas para melhorar meu dia a dia, essa maneira para forro de box foi fácil e criativo.

    ReplyDelete