background

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Scarf Alternatives

So what's the deal with cowls? I never really got them. I thought they were kinda awkward and not nearly as cute as a scarf. But, with the weather being so nice lately (the last week or so excluded) I wanted to find something that still made me feel warm and cozy without being too bulky or hot in 70+ degree weather.

My first venture into this area is a t-shirt necklace. I used a couple of old t-shirts, cut them into long strips which I braided, twisted, and some just left as is. I sewed the ends together and wrapped a sleeve around the ends which I sewed into place. And voila!

please excuse the awkward smile in the picture. thx. :)

Next, I made my first cowl. I made it as a gift for my mother-in-law and forgot to take a picture of it before I gave it to her. I guess I'll have to make another! What I liked about the cowl once it was all said and done is the simplicity of it. It's still functional for those cool days when a thick/full scarf would be too much while being less fuss. The only thing I dislike about scarves is when they hang down and get caught on something or fall off your shoulder, etc. A cowl eliminates these problems. I still think scarves are cuter overall, but I think I get the cowl now a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment