background

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lent - 2012

It's a few days into the Lenten Season. This year I'm doing a couple of things. I gave up Facebook, and I went back to church.

I stopped really going to church a few years ago. I could go into all the reasons I made that choice, but it all really comes down to one thing - I lost my sense of "home" in the Church. Over the years I've visited other churches, other denominations, and nothing ever seemed to fit. Now, I live about 2 minutes away from a church that I went to briefly in middle school when we wanted to go to mass in Spanish. Over the last couple of weeks I felt that I needed to go. I haven't had that desire in a long time. Last Sunday I went back to church.... It still wasn't the "home" feeling I was looking for, but it felt nice to be in a familiar place with the familiar rhythm of the mass. They even sang my favorite hymn after communion. 

Giving up, or at least letting up, on Facebook is something I've been thinking about for a while. I've become too concerned with it. My fingers automatically search for the app on my phone or type the URL on my browser. I do what everyone else does on it - I see what everyone else is doing. I don't want to be that person. I want to focus on what I'm doing, what the people around me are doing. I was getting to a point where I took it personally when I wasn't included in something or if no one "liked" a post. It was really ridiculous. So, for at least the next 40 ish days I won't be getting on Facebook. I will be focusing on me, my relationship with God, my relationship with my husband, and my relationship with my family and friends.

So far, so good. I'm looking forward to mass in the morning, to hearing the readings and the homily, and to singing the hymns. As for Facebook, I'm okay not getting on it, but it does make me nervous sometimes to think that my absence will go unnoticed or that some who I thought were closer friends will not follow through without such ease of seeing my every move with the click of a button. We'll see. 

I'm very much looking forward to a meaningful Lenten Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment